Zoology Association Activities 2015 - 16
The Zoology Association (ZOEA) was officially inaugurated on 14-12-2015 by Dr. John K Thomas, Principal Scientist Jubilee Medical Research Centre, Thrissur and Retd. Professor, Christ College, Irinjalakuda. In the technical session of the inaugural ceremony there was a seminar on ‘Climate Change and Biodiversity conservation” by our chief guest.
Activities of the present academic year began on World Environmental Day, 5-06-2015 by planting trees in ButterflyGarden. A Spot Photography Competition on “Butterflies of the Campus” was also conducted on the same day. Ms. Jinsiya Shafi II Sem. Multimedia was the winner and prize distributed on college social day. On 9-06-15 Soft Skill Training was conducted by Davis Padikkal, Senior Hospitality Trainer, Thrissur.
An international invited talk was delivered by Dr. Sameera Hechona Vadakkan , Our Lady of Fatima University, College of Medicine, Manila, on the topic “ Nutrition for Body & Brain” for all Zoology students on 16-07-’15. Two of our faculty members, Ms. Fathima P A and Jimsy Johnson, participated and won 1st prize in Quiz competition conducted by Department of Botany in relation with Biodiversity conservation week.
A Quiz on“Environmental and Wildlife Conservation” was conducted for all U.G. students on 10-09-‘15. Saritha V K of II DC Botany secured the first prize and the prize was distributed on ZOEA inauguration day by our chief guest. In connection with Ozone Day we distributed snippets to create awareness on environmental protection. M. Fathima P A got best paper presentation award on National seminar at Christ College, Irinjalakuda on the topic “A study of species diversity of spiders in Little Flower College Campus, Guruvayoor”. Last week of September we started our jumble words copetition.
We conducted a Memory Game in connection with World Alzheimer’s Day on 1-10-‘15 and Uthara Unnikrishnan of II DC Zoology secured 1st prize. The prize was distributed on college social day. On 7-10- 15 in connection with the Swach Bharath Abhyan students cleaned the KSRTC depot. “Anti-Malaria observation 2015” was organized by the Department of Zoology and Botany in association with Medical office of Health, Thrissur for all Zoology and Botany students to make awareness on vector borne diseases and their control measures on 15-10-‘15. The programme was inaugurated by Dr. Babylakshmi Deputy DMO and District Surveillanace Officer and subject talks were handled by Dr. Uma Maheswari Thankachi, Retd. Additional Director of Health Services and District Epidemologist, Mr. M S Sasi, Senior Dist. Malaria Officer, Thrissur and Mr. Jabbar, Biologist, DVC Unit, Thrissur. A philately exhibition was arranged by the Department in colloboration with Dept. of History on 17-10-’15. A blood donation camp was organized by the dept. and NSS Unit in association with IMA and Blood Bank, Thrissur on 19-10-’15 and 26-02-2016.All the final year students of the department went for a five day Study Tour to biologically significant places from 27-10-‘15 to 31-10-‘15.
The newly sanctioned courses including M.Sc. Zoology were officially inaugurated by Mr. Abdul Kader, MLA on 17-11-’15. Jefiny C.X of I Sem. M. Sc. Zoology got best paper presentation award in National level Intercollegiate Paper Presentation Competition conducted on 11-12-15 in St. Mary’s College, Thrissur on the topic ‘Tusker Conflict”. On 17-12-’15 Jefiny C X presented the same paper for all zoology students to motivate them for wild life protection.
The first Sem. M. Sc. students of the department went for Study Tour to Ecologically important places on 7-01-’16. Ms. Swapana Johny delivered an awareness talk on “Kole Wetlands of Thrissur” in connection with World Wetland Day on 3-02-’16. On 16-02-’16 the staff and students of the dept. visited Thanal- Rehabilitation Centre.
Zoology Association Activities 2014-15
The Official inauguration of the Zoology association 2014-15 was held on 20/10/14 by Dr. George Mathew, Emeritus Scientist , KFRI, Peechi.. In the technical session our chief guest gave a highly informative talk on Butterfly Taxonomy and their conservation.
- June 5th distribution of snippets “10 tips to help, save the environment” in the college.
- One day Interdisciplinary International seminar “BONA SALUS” organized by departments of Zoology & English on 13th June 2014
- One day study tour to visit institutions of Elective paper (20-06-2014)
- Paper presentation by students in connection with VayanaVaram(23-27 June)
- Butterfly park is set in the campus under the guidance of Dr. George Mathew, Emeritus Scientist , KFRI, Peechi
- Blood Donation talk by Dr. Thanuja A Mathew on 10-06-2014
- Distribution of tips to prevent Alzheimer’s Disease in connection with Alzheimer’s Day on 22-09-2014
- Visit to “Thanal” on 23-09-2014
- Students and staff attended three days Nature Camp at Eravikulam National Park, Munnar (29-09-2014 to 1-10-2014)
- KNOW YOUR ENGLISH Competitions – Jumble words and Word Power
- Animal Nomenclatures
- Life Science Glossary
- Environmental club CONNECTIONS-LINKING MAN TO ENVIRONMENT is inaugurated by Jain J Therattil, Co-ordintor WWF,Thrissur & Asst.
Zoology Association Activities 2013-14
The Zoology Association (ZOEA) was officially inaugurated on 01/11/13 by by Dr. P.O. Nameer, HOD, Wildlife Department, College of Forestry, Kerala Agricultural University. In the technical session of the inaugural ceremony there was a seminar on ‘Wildlife conservation” by our chief guest. As the first activity of association, on 14-06-2013 in connection with World Blood Donors Day by Ms. Swapana Johny, H.O.D of department, had presented an awareness talk for all final year U.G. and P.G. students. On 25-07-2013 we conducted an interdisciplinary Environmental Quiz for all U.G. students in connection with the World Environmental Day. Ms. Nimmy C. Dominigose of III DC Botany was the winner and prizes were distributed on ZOEA inauguration day. On 29-07-13 we started Jumble Words competition daily and on 01-08-13 onwards we started Word Power competition weekly for all Zoology students.
All the final year students of the department participated in a three day Nature camp at Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary from 19-08-13 to 21-08-13. A Reading room containing various peer reviewed journals and magazines was inaugurated on 02-09-13 in the department for all Zoology students. An awareness talk on Blood donation was delivered by Dr. Thanuja A. Mathew, faculty of department, in connection with World Blood Donation Day for all NSS members of the campus. As a part of the Faculty paper presentation in the college, Dr. Thanuja A. Mathew, faculty of department, presented a paper “An overview of novel strategies of insect pest management” on 22-10-123.
Ms. Arpitha Anto and Ms. Jayasree P. J. participated a Quiz competition at St. Thomas College, Thrissur in connection with ‘International Day for Preservation of Ozone Layer’ on 25-10-13. A Quiz on the topic ‘Ozone Layer Depletion and Consequences’ and a Speech competition on ‘Ozone Depletion and Climatic changes’ were conducted for all U.G. students on 30-10-13. Amulya Baji of II DC Zoology secured the first prize in quiz competition and Hridhya K.S. of II DC Zoology and Anaswara K.S. of III DC English secured the first and second prizes respectively in the speech competition. The prizes were distributed on ZOEA inauguration day by our chief guest.
An Interdisciplinary Science Exhibition ‘SCIENTIA - 13’ was jointly organized by Departments of Zoology, Chemistry and Botany for School students on 27th and 28th of November. More than thousand students from nearby schools plus students of our college visited interestingly. Ms. Arpitha Anto secured third prize in Intercollegiate General Quiz Competition organized by BITS Kunnamkulam on 26-09-13. On 03-12-13, Ms. Swapana Johny, H.O.D of the department, delivered an awareness talk on AIDS in connection with World AIDS Day for NSS members. An intercollegiate paper presentation competition was conducted on 11-12-13 on the topic ‘Vistas of Biodiversity and Conservation – Now and Beyond’. Amrutha Jayan of Sacred Heart College, Chalakudy won the first prize and our III DC student Shamna K.S. won the second prize. The prizes were distributed by our chief guest and judge Ms. Dalie Domnic, H.O.D. of the Department of Zoology, St. Mary’s College, Thrissur. Ms. Arpitha Anto and Hridya K.S. attended Millennium Zoology Quiz conducted by St. Aloysius College, Elthuruthu on 09-01-14. Ms. Hridhya K.S. of II DC Zoology won first prize in Hindi versification and Second prize in Hindi story writing in the D-Zone competition held at Govt. College, Kuttanellur.
As a part of the Faculty paper presentation in the college, Dr. Thanuja A. Mathew, faculty of department, presented a paper “An overview of novel strategies of insect pest management” on 22-10-13.
As a part of extension lectures given by our faculty, Ms. Swapana Johny, H.O.D of department, had presented an awareness talk on Blood Donation for all final year U.G. and P.G. students on 14-06-2013 in connection with World Blood Donors Day. Another awareness talk on Blood donation was delivered by Dr. Thanuja A. Mathew, faculty of department, in connection with World Blood Donation Day for all NSS members of the campus. On 03-12-13, Ms. Swapana Johny, H.O.D of the department, delivered an awareness talk on AIDS in connection with World AIDS Day for all NSS members of the campus.
Zoology Association Activities 2012-13
The Official inauguration of the Zoology association 2012-13 was held on 11/12/12 by Shri M.I Varghese, Retd. IFS Officer. In the technical session of the inaugural ceremony our chief guest made a thought provoking and inspiring talk on ‘Threats of Biodiversity’. The class opened our eyes towards the over exploitations of mankind on biodiversity which deliberately manipulating the gene pool of the wild varieties day by day. As the first activity of association, on 16/06/2012 in connection with the world blood donation day Dr. Thanuja A. Mathew, Faculty of department, delivered a speech to NSS volunteers regarding the importance of blood donation. An environmental awareness quiz was conducted on 13/07/2012 in connection with the World Environmental Day we an for all interested U.G students of our college. In this, Ms Nimmy Varghese of II DC Botany secured the first prize. Prize was given on the association inauguration day by Shri M.I Varghese, Retd. IFS Officer. On 9th November 2012 all students from both I DC and II DC classes visited the Bio-medical exhibition at Jubilee Mission Hospital, Thrissur. It was very informative and provided an opportunity to be get familiarized with the various new explorations in the field of Medical biology. Ms. Swapana Johny, Head of the department, presented an awareness class on AIDS to NSS volunteers of our college on 04/12/12.
On 13-12-12 we conducted a debate in our department on the topic ‘Biological Conservation-Role of society or individual. Active participation from the part of the viewers made the discussion more interesting. On 14/12/12 we conducted a poster competition on the topic ‘Impacts of Biodiversity loss’ for all UG students from various departments. Gifty Varghese of III DC computer science secured the first prize and Shiji T. M. and Linitha P.G. of III DC Zoology secured the second prize.
A Quiz competition was conducted on 8th February 2013 for all B.Sc. Zoology students. Pooja Dasan K. and Femina P. U. secured the first and second prizes respectively. As a part of extension activities, a blood donation and blood group detection camp was arranged in the department in association with NSS unit of Little Flower College and Amala Institute of Medical Sciences, Thrissur. Of the 143 student registered 63 students those who were found to be fit for donating blood donated their blood.
Drisya Mohanan O M has won “Sethu Parvathibai Scholarship” for scoring highest mark in Calicut University for B.Sc Zoology under Reservation category.
Hridya K.S. of I B Sc Zoology has won second prize in D Zone competitions for Hindi versification and Hindi story writing.
Hridya K.S. & Remya Varghese attended Millennium Zoology Quiz conducted by St. Aloysius College, Elthuruthu
Jefiny C.X. participated in D zone competition for Monoact.
Indu K of II B.Sc. Zoology attended Tal Sainik Camp at New Delhi.
Zoology Association Activities 2011-12
- Zoology Association Inauguration by Dr. Joe K. Kizhakkudan, Scientist in Charge, CMFRI , Kovalam Lab, Chennai on 24th August 2011.
- Seminar on “Diversified Aquaculture” by Dr. Joe K. Kizhakkudan, Scientist in Charge CMFRI Kovalam Lab Chennai on 24th August 2011
- Environment Quiz for final year students in association with World Environment Day June 5th on 13th June 2011 and the winner of the Quiz was Reshma K.U. of III B.Sc Zoology. Prize was awarded By Dr. Sr. Maria Victor, Principal on Zoology association Inauguration Day on 24th August 2011.
- Blood Donation Camp was conducted on 18th August 2011 in association with NSS Unit of the college and Blood Bank, Govt. Medical College, Thrissur inaugurated by Rev. Fr. Walter Thelappilly, Director, Amala Institute of Medical Sciences, Thrissur.
- Free Eye Check up for College Students at Dr. Rani Menon’s Clinic Guruvayoor in August, September and October 2011 on every Tuesdays.
Zoology Association Activities 2010-11
- Association Inaugurated on 12th August 2010 by Dr. P. Bhanumathy, Associate Professor, Department Of Zoology, Sree Kerala Varma College Thrissur & Founder and Director of AMHA, Thrissur.
- An Environmental Quiz conducted on June 24th 2010 and prizes were given to the winners.
- ZOEA members conducted Blood Group Detection Camp on 9th September 2010.
- As a part of extension activities staff and final year students visited Thanal-Rajah Rehabilitation centre once in month.
- Sr.Jessy Mary Pellisery, Head Of Zoology Department delivered a talk on Alzhiemers disease on 23rd September at Thanal.
- Our final year students performed Kolkali in their annual gathering on 7th December 2010.
- One day National Seminar was conducted on “Aquatic Biodiversity” on 20th October 2010 organized by department of Zoology. Dr.N.D.Inasu, Principal, St.Aloysius College, Elthuruth inaugurated the programme. First Technical session was held by Dr. Eldhose. P. Mani, Annamalai University, Tamilnadu on “Marine Biodiversity”. The second session was held by Dr. C. P. Shaji, Principal Scientist, Kerala state Biodiversity Board, Thiruvananthapuram on “Freshwater Fishes of Kerala”.
- On 28th November we conducted a Free Homeo Medical Camp at St. Mary’s Church, Parish hall, Perakam in association with IHK unit Thrissur.
- Smt. Swapna Johny, Lecturer of Zoology Department gave a lecture on AIDS awareness at the college auditorium on 30th November world AIDS day on Dec 2010 as a part of world AIDS day on December 1st.
- A Seminar on “Deviations in Immunity” was conducted by Dr. Sr. Licy. C. D, Head of Department of MLT, Manipal University, Manipal on 23rd December 2010.
- A Biological exhibition- BIOS 2011 was conducted on 13th -15th January by Zoology Department. Dr. Sr. Maria Victor, Principal, Little Flower College inaugurated the exhibition.
- Zoology Quiz Conducted by Department in February 2011 and prizes were distributed to winners.
Zoology Association Activities 2009-10
- Association Inaugurated on: 22nd July 2009 by Dr.T.V.Sajeev, Scientist KFRI, Peechi.
- A seminar on “Learning Life” was given by him.
- Another seminar “Dreams” based on environmental issues was given on the same day.
- An Environmental quiz conducted on June 8th 2009 and prizes were given to the winners.
- As a part of extension activities staff and final year students visited Thanal-Rajah Rehabilitation centre once in month and celebrated Onam with them.
- Blood donation and blood group detection camp was conducted on 24th September 2009
- Free Medical Camp conducted in the College Auditorium on 25th October by Jubilee Mission Medical College, Thrissur.
- A Biological exhibition- BIOS 2009 was conducted on 2nd &3rd December by Zoology and Botany Departments together. Rev. Fr. Thomas Chakkaramaakkil, Joint Director of Amala Institute of Medical Sciences Thrissur, inaugurated the function.
- A Diabetes Detection Camp was conducted on 17th January 2010 by Eye and Diabetics Centre, Kunnamkulam.
- Zoology Quiz conducted by Department on February 1st 2010 and prizes were distributed to winners.