Department of chemistry was affiliated to the university of Kerala in 1963 and was later shifted to the university of Calicut in 1968 and has 50 golden years of glorious history to its credit.The department has vaulted the heights in excellence & their greatest assets are their students who have garnered many academic laurels consistently down the year. Our emphasis is in imparting skills of dedication and resilience in search of perfection and innovation in problem solving of contemporary issues. A post graduate department in pure chemistry has started functioning since 2012.The faculty has been giving extension lectures in various schools and at local organizations. A number of community development programmes were also carried out by the department.The department also conducted a three year add on course in “Entrepreneurial Skill Development" with functional assistance from UGC.
At present there are 9 teaching faculty members (5 Permanent & 4 Adhoc ).Two of them are Ph.D degree holders and others are on the persuit for their research degree.There are 4 non-teaching staff members.Dr.Sr.Molykutty M.Kaniampady is the HOD of the department since 2011 .
Excellence in achievements
To enhance the scientific temper of the society instilled through humanistic values and spiritual growth.
To develop confidence of students by fostering excellence in chemistry which will make them globally competent.
Curricular & Co-curricular activities
- Cerificate & Diploma course in Research Methadology
- Inter collegiate Seminars
- Subject oriented seminars & lectures
- Workshop on Chemistry in daily life
- Industrial & Institutional visits
- Study tour
- Project Works
- Carrier guidance programmes
- NET Coaching for PG students
Extra curricular activities
- Inter Collegiate quiz competitions
- Exhibition for College, Higher Secondary & High School Students
- Awareness Programmes on current environmental problems.
- Orientation Classes
- Extention activities conducting in the neighbouring colonies(Community Service Programmes)
- Participation in Arts Festivals
- Various surveys
- Participation in blood donation campaign
- Participation in N.C.C. & N.S.S.
Innovations in Teaching
- ICT Enabled teaching
- Use of different teaching aids
- Group Study & Group discussion
- Effective feed back System
- Remedial teaching
- Tutorial system
- Personal counselling
- Self awareness programmes
- Classes on stress management & healthy life
- Visit of Old age homes &Disabled students residences
- UGC aided Minor Research Projects
- Publications of faculty members in different journals
- High result percentage with university ranks & grades
- Department Library
- Smart Class
- Internet facility and desktop system
- Lap top computers
- Multiple projector
- Balance Rooms
- Separarate store rooms for acids & toxic chemicals
- Three well synchronized modern laboratorries including,
a.Double beam microprocessor UV-Visible spectro photometer model LT-2900 with PC & Printer
b.Incubator for fungal studies
c.Thin Layer chromatolographics apparatus
d.Hot air oven with thermostat
e.Digital Photo electric colorimeter
g.Digital conductivity/Total dissolved solid meter
h.Digital pH meter
i.Electronic top loading balance
j.Water distillation unit etc.