Institution Best Practices
The Franciscan Clarist Congregation backed management embodies eco sensibility in its core values. The institution imparts eco sensibility as a part of their curriculum in addition they are provided with insights through experiential learning initiatives The Institution promotes its Institutional values in responsible citizenry through Eco sensible social consciousness inculcated through hands on practices. The Institution focuses on two best practices that benefits the society and aligns with its proclaimed mission and vision that is institutionalized through practices and initiatives that are carried forward by the members of the college. They are:
“We Grow with You ” – a Social Initiative
Franciscan Green Canopy – a Green Initiative
The college moves on the pivot of the LF values TEFTS. The Trust in God, Eco sensibility, Fraternity and Social Commitment epitomizes the Institutional thrust to uphold these cornerstones for the society which is distinct in its own way as it has been the norm in this Institution for more than six decades. The Institution founded on the principle of Charity. Eco sensibility and social commitment, are upheld with much vigour and resonates as prioritized distinct LF values through “We Grow with You” Social Initiatives and Franciscan Green Canopy Initiatives in the society.
“We Grow with You” – A Social Initiative
· Facilitating Social Consciousness towards Society through “We Grow with You” initiatives to chart an ecosystem of excellence for women bridging responsibilities and commitment to fellow beings.
· The social commitment to the less privileged was expressed in a construction of a home by the NSS Volunteers during their special camp with manpower input from the part of the students with just one head Mason to design and direct their labour.
· The NSS, NCC, WWS and SSP are always in the forefront in all campaigns organized by the government, Non- Governmental and the Institution to extend their social commitment in highlighting eco sensibility.
· The extension activities included whitewashing and painting the Government Homeopathic Clinic, a work complete in three days, in the neighbourhood.
· The citizen duty of supporting Cleanliness for Healthy India the clarion call of the Central Government had initiatives by our students in the locality to broaden their outlook on ethics of teamwork and spirit of responsibility to the nation and the less privileged of the society .
· The students undertake surveys to augment government initiatives to identify the health and social issues to support the local authorities in their efforts for proper implementation of diverse programmes.
· The Institution on its part takes up voluntary programmes as outreach mechanism to instill the seed of cooperation and sharing of resources with the, marginalized and the less privileged among the society as a part of citizen duty in its neighbourhood.
· The Institution and students rose up to the occasion during the deluge that overwhelmed our state for two continuous years through volunteering their services to the district authorities offering their mite to mitigate the tragedy . The students under took the volunteering services as requested of by the collector.
· The Institution take care of inhabitants of various old age and mental rehabilitation homes through food and clothing donations sourced by the staff , students and by the management to augment the government efforts to rebuild a new Kerala.
· The Institution volunteered to clean up homes ravaged by flood waters in the affected areas. Campaigned to flag down health issues and advised adequate sanitation and hygiene measures to combat diseases as a fall out of the flood.
· The Institution under took surveys to estimate losses incurred during the floods in cooperation with the Municipality of Guruvayur and submitted report to the authorities.
· The Institution promotes the integration of the nation in its multipronged approach to keep its citizens safe and sound through diverse activities for Nation Building.
· The college observes all significant days and pledges initiatives to raise the level of awareness in the local community on their duties to preserve their health through Road Safety Campaigns , HIV, Alzheimer etc.
· Eye donation and Blood Donation, are encouraged. Blood Donation is an ongoing annual feature organised every year in collaboration with Amala Medical College Hospital.
· The Institution volunteers contribute to the hair donation campaign for the cancer patients.
· The Institution also engages itself to be resourceful in Energy Conservation Campaigns in the locality.
· The Institutional support nation building through rallies to highlight national events like the FIFA U-17 Games under the aegis of the Ministry of Youth Affairs, New Delhi, held at the State.
· The Institution campaigned for Blood Group Detection survey for blood group directory of local authorities.
· The monsoon related disease awareness and safety inputs to the locality as climatic shifts are disrupting human existence in a big way .
· The Unnat Bharat Abhiyan of the MHRD New Delhi spearheads mission to raise the awareness to counter cholera, malaria,dengue and other vector borne diseases to local public. Students turned into messengers in transferring knowledge to the community.
· The Institution was again selected to head the UBA (Unnath Bharath Abyan Scheme) of the Central Government by adopting five villages to implement extension schemes which helped to expand their outlook on developing the skill for care and crisis management. Around 800 of our students worked for 100 hours during their summer internship under Unnat Bharat Abyan Scheme 2018 of the Government of India.
· The Swach Bharat Abhiyan and the Unnat Bharat Abhiyan Schemes have received noted accolades for its activities from the MHRD .
· The Clean India Campaign Swach Bharat had a tremendous impact that we were the only college in the state to figure top 150 Institutions in the Nation
· The students helped to eliminate social evils like drugs and other substance abuse through effective rallies and extension lectures to benefit the public.
· The Institution a spreads skill training in computer hardware ,software and vocational skills to members of adopted villages and to the physically challenged inmates of the Victory Centre imparting training in vocation as per the state syllabus.
· The Institution adopts Miss a Meal Scheme every first Friday of a month to feed the poor of the streets at the temple town of Guruvayur.
· The Students held food fest within the campus to raise funds for extending aid to the less privileged.
· The Student Entrepreneurial Social Service Day that has been in existence for more than six decades as an innovative bench mark in extending help to the needy.
· The Institution provides hope for hopeless aged population of the locality through volunteer services during day time in the project PAKALVEEDU.
· The Institution provides care and support to children through its day care centre facility THARATTU, a relief to working mothers of the locality and to our staff.
· The Institution provides extension services with the support of the authorities at the local sub Jail at Chavakkad augmenting the Government resources to help inmates be inclusive for rehabilitation.
· The thrust area of the Institution is to be a centre of hope for the locality and priming students to be responsible citizens.
· Facilitating Social Consciousness to the Society through “We Grow with You” initiatives to chart an ecosystem of excellence for women.
Franciscan Green Canopy –A Green Initiative
The Franciscan Green Canopy has its essence in the institutionalized values which the students undertake with enthusiasm and vigor through Governmental and Non- governmental agencies.The eco sensible values are propagated consciously through various activities undertaken by the students both within and outside the campus.
· The Franciscan Green Canopy Initiatives included a number of Eco friendly Projects undertaken by the students within the campus like
· A Study Spider Species Diversity in the College campus
· A Study of Insect Diversity in the Butterfly Garden of Little Flower Butterfly Garden.
· The Faculty and Students have Signature Minor Projects and Doctorates, Documentaries and Publications of Books and Research Papers on Eco sensibilities like Ecological pertinence on psycho – social contour of young learners, Climate Change in Literature and Franciscan vision on Nature and Environment and its interpretation in three different generations.
· Ecological Cultural Semantics , A compendium of 40 Research Papers of Faculty and Students.
The Franciscan Green Canopy Eco friendly projects outside the campus were taken up on topics like :
· Effect of Hydrological parameters on Icthio-faunal diversity of Chettuva estuary,Comparative study on species diversity of Spider Fauna and their Webs,Changing patterns in fish assemblage in Kole lands, distribution of Rhopalocerans. Projects related to Sacred Snake Groves and the eco cultural significance.The long history of Canoli canal a significant contribution of Lord O’Connolloy in the waterway creation for commerce. Cinematic concepts of Thinai of Sangam Literature.Velur Agrarian Fertility Myth and Buffalo ritual. Eco Sensibility of migration of farmers in novels. Suguthakumari’s vision on Environment.
· A number of studies on the various medicinal plants and essential spices that are relevant to the wellbeing of mankind is carried through projects that are inhouse as well as outside campus both by students and Faculty like Extraction of essential oil from Gliricidia sepium leaves, Antibacterial study of Cinnamomum, Effect of incorporation of Cassia Fistula, curry leaf extract on oxidative stability of ghee, Occurrence of sodium in milk after CIP cleaning, Comparative study on vitamin C content in different samples of fruits and vegetables and kinetics of its thermal degradation, Phytochemical analysis, antibacterial and in vitro cytotoxicity study of Azadirachta indica, carica papaya, Biochemical constituents of Dhanthapala leaf, bark and its oil and Hibiscus tree, Extraction of essential oil from ocimus sanctum, Green synthesis of Silver nanoparticles from the leaf of Spondias Dulcis and Iron nanoparticles from the bark of Wrightia tinctoria (ROXB), Evaluation of fulvic acid complex through infrared spectroscopic analysis: a case study in amaranthus seedlings.
· Projects undertaken to study on Quality assessment of public water supply, Food Adulteration, uranium in drinking water wells of Kasaragod District, cyanide content in edible foods, study of Natural and artificial fruit juices, Estimation of ascorbic acid in fruits, Antibacterial and invitro cytotoxicity studies,Evaluation of different types of ASH materials for plant nutrients and silica, A study on the characterisation and seasonal variation of dissolved bioorganic compounds in mangrove ecosystem, Absorption of cadmium in mangrove soil of kerala ,A study on antibacterial and heavy metal removal efficiency of MnO2/ Ag composite,Use of antioxidant modified silica in natural rubber, Epoxidation of natural rubber seed oil and its application in rubber compounds,Extraction of nano cellulose from arecanut spathe, A study on comparison of carbon naotube and grapheme on natural rubber composites, Evaluation of heavy metal content in the vegetables grown under different nutrient management practices. Isolation of nanocellulose from arecanut sheath and preparation of natural rubber-nanocellulosecomposites
· Aesthetic Conservation of Nature was performed through various activities like Thakazhi’s short story analysis of life journey of farmers, Oral Ballads on culture and environment, campus plays hosted to encourage the eco sensibilities and Environment Day Commemoration by Sapling Planting , PACHAPPU, ‘Selfie in the Rain, Eco friendly Beauty Contest, Slogan making and Poster making, Poetry creation, Speech, Photography, Competitions , Interdepartmental Quizzes , Environmental Pledges , Eco friendly Exhibitions , ‘Tree Poetry’, Seminar and Expert Resource Awareness Programmes.
· Training in Agricultural Products within the campus like Organic bio fertilizer manufacturing JAIVADHARA Project, Vegetable Gardening, Farmers Day activities, Organic Farming by the NSS and other departments within the campus, Home Farming during Monsoon VEETUVILA project, Tree planting and tree adoption programme the Green COVENANT,Swatch Bharat Fortnight Activities, Spinach For Blood Programme, Organic Manure Workshop on vermin composting.
· Eco –Sensitization Activities in the campus are organized with much enthusiasm. This includes programmes for Swatchwada Pakwadha Observance, Earn a Living Incubation Centre Programme, , Paper Skill, Poster Competition for Wild Life Day, Bio Diversity Conservation Challenges and Opportunities of Kerala, All There is Between U and UV Programme, Eco File Making Programme, Identification of Fauna of the Campus, Swap Shop –RRR Program, Debate Competition on International Disaster Day.
· Anti Plastic Movements are organized within the campus and is a regular feature of the Institute for the past many years. The students are engaged in Plastic waste removal and proper disposal every Tuesdays of a week, impart of awareness on less plastic waste generation through Pamphlet distribution Campaign, Anti Plastic Expos and Workshops on Paper Bag Making were conducted by the NSS and other departments.
· Awareness Programmes through Seminars, Expert Resource Personal who disseminate environmental updates. A KSCSTE sponsored State Level Seminars Wetland Conservation Day, Cognizance on Biome Heterogeneity, Medicinal Plants were held in the campus. A Grand National Level UGC Sponsored Seminar And International Filmfest On Ecology Was Held In The Campus With 16 Prime Guest Speakers And Ten Resource Persons On Diverse Aspects Of Ecology Discussed Threadbare Through Simultaneous Platforms For Two Days .
· The Green Protocol and the Environment and Energy Protocol has been instilled as policies and practices on the campus. The Green and Energy survey in the campus by our faculty and students under the expertise of Environmental Experts threw up a comfortable picture of our joint effort in reducing the carbon footprints The Green and Energy Audit Report has vindicated efforts of our management faculty and students bearing the flag of eco sensible social commitment with aplomb.The awareness created by experts on environmental issues in various spheres of society has enriched the momentum of creating a green campus in this institution.